Official Dukinfield Rugby Union Football Club Facebook page
Like many Northern clubs, Dukinfield was originally based on the many coal mines found in town and played such notables as Wakefield trinity, Halifax, Oldham etc and joined the Rugby Union in 1880.
In the 1920's Dukinfield fielded the Scottish international captain Dr.Henry, in the team for some years, and during this period became the pre-eminent team of the area.
Reforming after the war, Dukinfield failed to regain their past form and went into decline in the late 1960's being reduced to one team.
The club was dealt a severe blow early in 1969 when vandals burnt down the clubhouse on Blocksages, destroying all the clubs records and leaving it homeless.
In 1969 the club bought the old Co-op on Birch Lane and converted it into its headquarters. Struggling to just hold its head above water.
The club struggled through the seventies, but real progress only began in 1982. Since that time the club has progressed to run three senior teams and began to develop a strong junior section.
Last season was one to celebrate with the first team winning the South Lancs & Cheshire division 2 title and being promoted into North Lancs. & Cheshire 1.
This season once again finds the club fielding three senior sides and with an ever expanding youth section, thanks to the hard work of all the new junior coaching staff things are looking bright for the future of the club.